Cooking With Butler – Speeding Back To My Baby Back Ribs
October 25, 2009 · Print This Article
Michael Butler, the rock and roll geek, makes Barbecue Baby Back Ribs
2 slabs baby back ribs
1 tbs mustard powder
1 tbs paprika
1 tbs dark brown sugar
1 1/2 tbs garlic powder
1 1/2 tbs celery salt
1 tbs cayenne pepper
1/2 teaspoon ground allspice
note: i used a store bought mix called Pappy’s Mix. Zataran’s creole seasoning is also a favorite of mine.
1 1/4 cups ketchup
1/4 cup molasses
1/4 cup cider vinegar
1/4 cup water
1/8 teaspoon liquid smoke
1. Soak 1 cup hickory chips in water for 15 minutes
2. Trim membrane off bone side of ribs. Place on a baking sheet
3. In a bowl, combine rub ingredients
4. Set BBQ grill for indirect heat. Place Hickory chips on hot coals. If using a gas grill, place wood chips in an aluminum pan and place them on burner set to high. Set the other burners to medium. close lid and preheat for 15 minutes
5. Reduce burner under wood chips to medium and turn other burners off. Place ribs above burners that are turned off, bone side up. Cook 90 minutes, turning once halfway through.
6. Place a rack over a baking sheet . Pour enough water in bottom to just cover.
7. Combine Ketchup, molasses, vinegar, water, liquid smoke and some of the spice rub. Whisk together thoroughly. Mop ribs with sauce, using about 1 cup of the sauce.
8. Transfer ribs to rack and wrap tightly in foil. Place pan in preheated 250 degree oven for another 3 hours. Transfer to cutting board, tent with foil and rest 10 minutes.
Serve with remaining sauce on the side